Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Posters concepts

racism/racial profiling - I want to confront how racism is still rampant throughout the media and in society but turning the focus on how people are seeing "terrorists." However, I did a poster abou this last year in my elements class, so I don't know that I would have enough of a fresh mind set to think of something that is drastically different from that previous poster.

gay rights/anti-gay rights - I can't decide which would be more fun to do. My idea is based on how all of those "God hates fags!" posters are always drawn in marker on posterboard, but what if they were mass marketed as high-quality posters?

apathy - Not sure how I would go about this one, but I think it would be funny to promote apathy towards issues/an issue in a reverse-psychology sort of way. I'd have to narrow down the issue(s) that I would focus on and then figure out how I would go about it.

2 comments:

harmstro said...

These are interesting topics. If you already did a racism poster, I would do something else. Having two posters about the same topic in your portfolio might be overkill.

As you narrow down your other two ideas, don't forget your audience. The apathy idea is very targeted to the appropriate age.

Andrew said...

I agree with Helen about the Racism idea.. move onto new territory unless you have a fresh approach in mind. Any substitute ideas??

Your other ideas have a lot of potential...

anti/gay rights:
pick a side and narrow your topic. lots of states are dealing with whether to legalize gay marriage.. research the topic to see what the hotbutton arguments are. Be careful not to alienate the audience you're trying to persuade. As someone who has run a political organization, I can tell you that this happens all too often.

apathy:
great subject but you need to pick a topic within apathy (are people apathetic about gay rights, gun control, healthcare, etc). I think Nichelle Narcisi did a really good job of addressing cynicism and apathy (with sincerity).. you might want to draw inspiration from her (there's a link on the blog). If you take the sarcastic route, step back and ask yourself if you're really getting the message across.. it's hard to pull off this approach but it's REALLY effective when it works.