Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Revised Posters

Here are 3 revised posters. I took in to consideration the color, idea of the pin point on the map, and just having the U.S. instead of the world...

The first poster is just the basic idea using the suggestions in class... the photomontage of the needle and the health care symbol pin pointing the fact "14 million 19-29 year olds..." on a map of the U.S. The call to action is still at the bottom.

The second poster plays with the idea of multiple pin points, breaking up the sentence. I added "holes" where the needle would push through the page. I got rid of the photomontage and instead just have the health care symbol acting as the pinpoint. This poster has a lot of ideas mixed in one poster. Which idea(s) do you like/dislike? Which should I try to incorporate in my final poster?

The third poster is horizontal to accommodate the orientation of the U.S. Otherwise, it's very similar to the first poster

The general questions would be...
color- america=red, text and symbol=white, background=blue?
orientation- horizontal or vertical?
symbol- photomontage or just health care?
pin point- holes or no holes?
headline- multiple points separating sentence, or one large one point?

3 comments:

Andrew said...

good work here! I think your first and third are more successful. Breaking the sentence in the second one breaks the forcefulness of your statement.. it works much better as an unbroken statement.

Of the 1st and 3rd, I like the 3rd best because it doesn't cut off parts of the country that I'm interested in seeing (new england and florida). However, I do like how zoomed in you are in the first one. hmmm.. you might want to experiment with this more.. trying not to cut off peninsulas and/or interesting geography. Play with compositions and see what you come up with. Another reason why I like the third one is because of the "needle" hole, though it might be a bit too large.

Oh, and I like that you added more "needles" to the second one and think it adds more of that dartboard effect, which is more visually interesting. Try adding some more without worrying about aligning text around them.. randomness might add to the visual appeal of the poster.

nice work!

harmstro said...

Your poster is looking nice. I agree with Andrew that the first and third are the most successful. I don't mind that the map is cropped in the first one but I think your crop could be more interesting than you presently have it. I agree that the needle hole is too big. If it is there, it should be small and not so perfectly round.

Ryan said...

Kailie: These are pretty interesting, and I'll join the chorus of 1st and 3rd being most successful.

I'd suggest no hole, as you don't see the hole when a needle or dart is embedded in something, and even when it is pulled out, there is very little evidence of it being there.

Hierarchy: Your headline and your call to action are nearly at the same hierarchical level, and I'd suggest reducing the size of your call to action to make it more of a close read.

If you're going to go horizontal, I'd draw your map of the US in a bit more, it doesn't require the same cropping, if at all.

I'd consider white paper as well as the off white, as I'm not sure how the cream will read as a knockout in your red and blue.

Good work!

- Ryan